Japanese Whisky Yamazaki
Japanese Whisky Yamazaki distillery is owned by Japanese Company Suntory and is based on the outskirts of Kyoto
Suntory have not confined their activities to just the alcoholic beverage and food businesses, they have also entered the health foods, food service and flower markets.
Suntory operations have extended to Asia, centered on China, and to the United States, as well as to the operation of distinguished distilleries and châteaux in Europe.
5-2-1 Yamazaki, Shimamoto-cho, Mishima-gun, Osaka. 618-0001. Japan.
Telephone: +81 75 961 1234
Fax: +81 75 962 8961
Whiskies from 'Yamazaki Distillery'
- Suntory Yamazaki 1982 Sherry WoodAny whisky-lover would be glad of the chance to taste this, even if it is on the woody side
- Yamazaki 12 Year OldA pioneering malt in Japan, for which Suntory deserve great credit. In its early days, it was rounded and delicate, as though wary of offending anyone. Now it is more intense, confident and elegant.
- Yamazaki 12 Year OldThis was a pioneering malt in Japan, for which Suntory deserve great credit
- Yamazaki 18 Year OldWell-balanced. Full of flavour
- Yamazaki 18 Year Old Single MaltBig flavours, and a lot happening, but could be rounder.
- Yamazaki 1980 Japanese White Oak CaskThe most herbal and spicy of these three bottlings, and the most distinctive
- Yamazaki 1991 Bourbon CaskAn interesting interplay of flavours. Comes to rather an abrupt halt
- Yamazaki 1991 Sherry CaskCan the elegant Yamazaki whisky stand up to heavy sherry? In this case, yes. A dexterously balanced malt
- Yamazaki 1993 Bourbon CaskThe Yamazaki I know well; but with a more obvious and robust hint of bourbon character
- Yamazaki 80th Anniversary BottlingA lovely, elegant, delicately malty Yamazaki
- Yamazaki Bourbon Cask 1993Lots happening, lively, enjoyable
- Yamazaki Oak Cask 1979Scores points for its robust distinctiveness.
- Yamazaki Sherry Cask 1984A huge whisky but overwhelmingly fruity and alcoholic.
- Yamazaki SMWS 119.1 1980, White Oak CaskElegant, and more flavoursome than other Suntory bottlings
- Yamazaki SMWS 119.2 1979, Japanese Oak CaskA breakfast malt? Splendidly complex, with Japanese oak adding that extra touch of distinctiveness.
- Yamazaki SMWS 119.3 1993, Aged 10 YearsA surprising amount of peat in this usually very delicate malt
- Yamazaki SMWS 119.5 1991, Aged 11 YearsSaves all the action for the finish. Very appetising
Yamazaki has won a number of Whiskey Awards
In 2003, Yamazaki 12 Years captured a Gold Award at the International Spirits Challenge (ISC), one of the world's most authoritative international liquor competitions.
A year later in 2004, Hibiki 30 Years won the Trophy, the highest award in the Challenge.
2005, Yamazaki 18 Years won a Double Gold medal at the San Francisco World Spirits Competition.
The Great Whiskey brands
Whiskey brand facts
Crown Royal Canadian Whiskey
The Famous Grouse